Wednesday 1 October 2014

Pollenca:  Three fabulous weeks

I am very sorry to be leaving Pollenca.  Here are some of the highlights:

A.  Sir Bradley wuz here:


On the day that Bradley Wiggins won the time trial in the world road racing championships, we were eating in "Tolo's" (his favorite Mallorca watering hole - as evidenced by the memorabilia in the restaurant):



Unfortunately on the day we were there, the weather was not quite so nice:


The clientele here is an odd mixture of people like Steve F, Steve B, and Dean W, who do not look embarrassing in lycra on the one hand, and pale Brits like me on the other.

B.  From the land of Shakespeare, Milton and Wordsworth, comes today's tabloid front page headline:

"Sponger wants sex swap op reversed!"


C.  My own "Chip Wilson" moment

Occasionally I try and follow the Lululemon precept "Do one thing a day that scares you".

No - I was not brave enough to buy some Lululemon shares:


But I did the next scariest thing.  There is an excellent sailing outfit on the beach next to us called Sail & Surf Pollensa.  It is run by young Germans who combine BMW efficiency with a Westfalia vibe.  I rented a windsurfer from them.  

They asked how long it had been since I last wind surfed.  I said ten years - in reality it's closer to twenty five years.  I asked for the smallest sail they had, but was told rather sniffily, that the smallest sail was two square metres and was reserved for children.  I had to settle for a 4 square metre sail installed on a barge like board.  It sounds pretty tame but it was exciting enough for me!




D.  So what does 400 Euros a week buy you, out of season, in Pollensa?

As you can see from the pictures, it's not a palace - no ocean views, polyester bed linens, the odd but extremely persistent mosquito!











However we have absolutely loved staying here. Here are ten reasons (in descending order of importance to us):

  1. Wi-fi works great
  2. Our own laundry
  3. Our own kitchen
  4. Very safe
  5. All the appliances actually work
  6. Tons of room for two people
  7. Two terraces for enjoying the evening sun
  8. Air conditioning
  9. Near to my favorite windsurfing school
  10. In the middle of town
All the comforts of home, but none of the chores - which is why I am somewhat reluctant to get moving again!

No comments:

Post a Comment